• Libby Galt says:

Vulnerability and Courage go together. This really speaks to me because I am living this every. single. day. I definitely go quickly to worse case now, because I’ve experienced worst case news and worst case living. But honestly, my worst case is also someone else’s good news. My diagnosis, while not easy nor small, is actually providing me with the likelihood of survival. There are many, many without these chances. So I straddle this weird place of gratitude and attitude (yep, I’m gonna trade mark that phrase). Like, I’m so lucky BUT also why me, why this, why now??? There are no answers to those questions, but still, one can’t help but wonder. I can get to gratitude fast now. Really, really quickly.

• I love that gratitude and attitude! I totally get that. Both can co-exist at the same time. And yes, most people who live with or live through trauma/cancer/illness/etc. can get to gratitude quickly. One of the things that came out of Brene Brown’s work is that those who have lived through trauma and darkness say: “1. Joy comes to us in moments–ordinary moments. We risk missing out on joy when we get too busy chasing down the extraordinary. 2. Be grateful for what you have. 3. Don’t squander joy.”

• Libby Galt says:

All becomes heightened. Fear, joy, anger, humor, appreciation, sorrow. Priorities are quick to come into light. And yes, ordinary becomes extraordinary.

• Libby Galt Love this so much, Libby.

• Libby Galt says:

My perfectionism is coming into play in the sense of trying to manage cancer by controlling lifestyle choices. The problem with cancer is there are so many lifestyle contributions. But at the same time it is also something that can’t always be controlled by lifestyle choices. So I am struggling with the balance between what I can ‘control’ with lifestyle choices and what I can’t. The choices that most people don’t need to think about, I have to consider the impact they might have on me living or dying. And this is a big burden. It’s not: will that donut make me gain weight? Honestly that would be a luxury. It’s more like will that donut kill me? I know one donut won’t do that, but now those kinds of choices carry a big burden.

• I would imagine that making these choices over and over again is exhausting. And yes, it is hard to know if controlling these things will make the kind of impact you intend for them to make. How much do you rely on your intuition/gut knowing to make these choices?

• Libby Galt says:

Voice of Her Own great question! It’s strange, but my intuition has both strengthened and become questionable. Cancer erodes the trust that you have that your body is generally a healthy one that you understand. Since my own body did this to me (my cells made mistakes that were not cleaned up by other cells), I have been rocked to the core and left to figure out a whole new body. So while I can sense things on a whole new level and know them to be true, I am also left trying to develop trust again.

• Libby Galt Absolutely. I get it. How do you trust in a resilient body again? How do you trust in the signals your body sends you? Are there lessons you’ve learned before the diagnosis and after when it comes to trusting your intuition/body signals?

• Libby Galt says:

I read a life changing book called Own Your Cancer (for those diagnosed and those supporting people with cancer) and it completely changed my perspective. It gives you all the facts about cancer. The information is power and it helps you understand what questions to ask, what to pay attention too and not to discount the things your body tells you. It shaped the way I viewed my role as a patient and gave me tools to be more in charge of my treatment. It was a real mind changing book and I learned that as the patient you can have an impact (for better or worse) on your outcome.

• Wow. Powerful. Thanks for sharing that resource!

• Libby Galt says:

Allison Kinnear thank you for the work you are doing!!

• Libby Galt You’re welcome. Thank you for encouraging me to explore my edges. <3

• >